Art and Design
Faculty Leader: Miss L. Dorrian
Art and Design lessons at Friars endeavour to provide pupils with the opportunity to explore, create and experiment in a developmental, yet relaxed, environment.
Pupils attend the well-resourced Art rooms for one lesson per week although the Art leader, Mrs T. Underwood, supports staff across the school so that art activities can be regularly accessed throughout the curriculum as well.
We are always interested in making pupils aware of where our ideas for pieces of art might come from and learning about the history of art and artists in a fun way. Pupils are continually encouraged to communicate their feelings about their own artwork and that of others in a positive, productive and informative manner.
Key Stage 3 activities include:
- Exploration of the Primary and Secondary colours using different mediums
- Drawing, shading and watercolour techniques are worked on through the study of ‘Natural Forms’
- Transferring the look of fabric: Tie and Dye/Batik
- Simple printing and pattern techniques are discovered
- Drawing, shading and watercolour techniques are built upon through close studies and individual design
- Collage, 3D design and clay work
- Press printing method and experimentation
- Lino printing method and experimentation.
- Silk Painting
- Digital photography using computer software.
- Watercolour embroidery
- Art Appreciation using a range of mediums.
Key Stage 4
At Key Stage 4 pupils have the opportunity to undertake an accredited course in Art. This will normally include individual projects that follow a theme where pupils can choose how to create their pieces of art, building on techniques learnt in Key Stage 3.